Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the history of TYEE Yacht Club?
By Jean Birkland
Historian and Trustee
In the spring of 1946, while cruising in the vicinity of Port Madison and Suquamish, one of our members pulled alongside a boat in distress, which turned out to be that of Harold and Lela Hall. While working on the boat to get it underway, the idea was conceived that a family club should be formed by boating people to promote safe boating and participation in recreational and yachting advantages of the Pacific Northwest.
With these principles in mind, a group of six couples ultimately met and formed the club. The first official election was held on May 6, 1947, with twenty charter members. The name TYEE was chosen, after much discussion, as the club name.
Tyee originates from the Nootka Tribe of the west coast of Vancouver Island. Its meaning is “chief” or “superior.”For several years, meetings were held at various places. All the while, members searched for property within their means, to buy or lease as a club home. Finally in December, 1955, the 105-foot Manitou was purchased and fitted up as a floating clubhouse.
The Manitou was one of the last survivors of the Puget Sound mosquito fleet, a group of ships that serviced Puget Sound points with freight and passenger service before the establishment of our present ferry system and bridges. The Manitou was built in 1917 for the Vashon Navigation Company at Burton on Vashon Island. It serviced the Quartermaster Harbor route and was named Vashon II. Purchase of the Manitou was made possible by the purchase of bonds by Tyee members. After two moves, the Manitou arrived at 3229 Fairview Avenue East where moorage was obtained from Mr. H.H. Noot.
On May 3, 1958, the Noot property and also the adjacent property known as the Coleman property were purchased. Plans were made to build a new clubhouse, and on July 18, 1958, a contract was awarded for the building. Both were financed by the issuance of bonds purchased by Tyee members.
There were many problems encountered. On August 13, 1958, a power failure stopped action of an automatic bilge pump on board the Manitou, causing her to sink at her moorings. She was raised at considerable expense. There was a heavy loss of club facilities, but some were salvaged and ultimately the ship was sold for one dollar, towed to sea and burned.
Another acquisition was that of second-class shore lands from the State of Washington in 1964. The year of 1966 saw the addition of a dock facility on the front of the clubhouse. In 1968, the board of trustees elected to redeem the outstanding bonds issued to fund construction of the clubhouse, and in 1986 the mortgage was paid in full.
A new phase in Tyee’s expansion occurred in 1969 with the acquisition of outstation property at Eagle Harbor. Development commenced in 1972 with dredging and construction of docks and floats. By January, 1973, the rough structure, walls and roof of the clubhouse were up. The outstation property was officially dedicated and named “Tyee West” during the annual Birthday Cruise, April 28, 1973. Construction of the clubhouse has steadily progressed as a result of many work parties. Anchorman for this development was P.C. Carl Weiss who headed the development committee from its inception in 1969 until 1989. Detail design and drafting of plans for the dock and clubhouse were furnished by P.C. John Mitchell.
Memorial Day, 1979, saw the final exterior siding installed on the clubhouse and, on Labor Day of that year, as a memorial to P.C. Oscar Welden and P.C. Matt Dannemiller, a handsome brick outdoor fireplace with barbecue was dedicated. In 1985, the docks were extended, electricity was provided for the boats. In 1986, a new well was dug. In 1990, a new ramp was installed leading from the dock to the floats, and in 1992 a team led by Ken Jones installed piping and plumbing to bring water service onto the docks.
During the 1990’s, the décor of the Lake Union clubhouse was updated and the restrooms were revamped. In 1996, the club’s 50th anniversary was observed with a year of special events, tee shirts and commemorative pins.
The new millennium began with renewed focus on the outstation. In the spring of 2001 club members, under the able direction of Steve Detwiller, replaced the stairway which climbs the bank from the fixed dock. In addition, new lighting was installed in the main room. In the fall of that year, 200 feet of new floats were constructed at a Seattle marine yard by members. They were towed to the Eagle Harbor site to replace the original wooden docks and were fitted with cleats, modern electrical service/lighting stanchions and water.
In spring of 2004 the outstation was dredged, removing 32 years accumulation of sediment. We were then able to fully use the entire dock due to the diligent efforts of Andrea Schock. Andrea researched and pursued the permitting and dredging process for nearly three years and overcame numerous obstacles. Andrea and Terry Schock were present for the actual dredging to assure the process was completed as planned, on time and on budget.
In 2005, all of the old, deteriorating wooden railings were replaced on the main dock leading to the club house at the outstation. Red and white plaques commemorated the donors of the new plastic (no paint!) railings.
Through the years, Tyee Yacht Club has remained true to its charter. It is indeed a family club “dedicated to encouraging and developing safe cruising and participating in the recreational and yachting advantages of the great Pacific Northwest.”
2. What membership types are available for TYEE Yacht Club?
Tyee was a pioneer in recognizing that all members of a family should be members of the club. Each adult is eligible for full membership and minor children are included at no cost.
Tyee Yacht Club has four classes of membership:
- ACTIVE - For members who own an interest in a vessel at least 16 feet long.
- ASSOCIATE - For members who do not own an interest in such a vessel
- LIFE - For members who joined the club prior to 1/1/95 and who have completed twenty-five years of membership in good standing.
- SENIOR - For members over the age of sixty-fixe who have completed ten or more years of membership in good standing.
Membership fees are as follows per person:
Initiation Fee: $500.00
Annual Dues: $376.00
3. What is proper Flag etiquette for my vessel?
In today’s flag etiquette, as shown in Chapman’s Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling, the US flag or the US yacht ensign (a fouled anchor surrounded by 13 stars in the blue field) is flown at the stern. The US flag is to be retired at sundown, the ensign can be flown night and day. The club burgee is flown at the bow mast. The captain’s private signal or flag of office flies from the starboard spreader or flag line.
Guest flags, green new member pennants, IPBA racing flag, organizational flags (Blue Gavel, etc.) and special awards* are flown at the port flag line.
When in a foreign port, the flag of that country is flown solely from the starboard flag line. The Captain’s private signal or flag of office moves to the top position, port side. (It is improper to fly the Canadian flag after returning to the US.)
• Of particular note are Tyee’s “DOUBLE WHAMMY,” “GOLDEN HAND”, and “DUCK” Flags. To have been awarded one of these flags is indeed a high honor. It must be displayed with the prestige which it so richly deserves by flying it in the top position on the port side for all to see, appreciate and comment about.
4. What are the current dock rules for TYEE Yacht Club?
1. Liability and Safety
a. All boats are moored at the owners’ risk. Tyee Yacht Club will not be held responsible for loss or damage of any kind.
b. Small children shall wear life jackets or be accompanied by an adult at all times while on the docks or floats. No running or swimming.
2. Maneuvering and Mooring
a. Operation of boats on or adjacent to club property will be at dead slow speed.
b. Moorage of boats at the clubhouse shall be limited to members or members of other clubs with which Tyee has reciprocal agreements.
c. Boats shall not be moored for more than 72
hours unless arrangements have been made with the Board Chairman or Commodore, with
a five day limit, and no event or caterer interference.
d. Club officers have the right to rearrange the position of any boat on the dock when necessary.
e. Shore power should be plugged into each boat individually.
f. Open flame cooking devices will be used on the deck only.
5. What are the current rules and regulations for the TYEE Yacht Club Outstation?
Tyee West Eagle Harbor
1. Moorage at Tyee West is limited to Tyee Yacht Club members only. Tyee burgees must be flown at all times on all member boats.
2. Permanent moorage is not permitted. Temporary, longer-term moorage can be allowed to support a member in good standing upon petition to and approval by the board. This moorage is not to exceed 90 days and moorage charges will follow the current nightly rate.
3. Moorage is on a first come basis - no reserving or saving.
4. Members, their families and guest will conduct themselves in an appropriate manner.
5. Any damage to buildings, docks or floats will be reported to the Board of Trustees.
6. Pets must be kept under control of their owner at all times. Owners are responsible for clean-up.
7. Tyee West is not for rent. Any use other than an outstation for Tyee Yacht Club members will be by Board approval.
8. Garbage from boats or the clubhouse will be deposited in cans at the property entrance. During the off-season, take it back home.
9. Overnight tent camping is allowed during Tyee events or by Board permission.
10. Parking for members and guests will be on Tyee property when possible.
11. Users of Tyee West do so at their own risk. Tyee Yacht Club assumes no responsibility for the safety or security of boats, property, or personal injury while on the premises.
12. Prospective new members may accompany their sponsoring member at the dock for a maximum of two days. The member will be present at all times and will inform the Commodore or Board Chairman of their presence.
13. Small children will wear life jackets or be accompanied by an adult while on the dock or floats. No running or swimming.
14. All members will sign in on the log sheets in the dock power box.
15. Moorage at the floats will be in the manner posted in the clubhouse.
16. Members leaving the outstation will be sure of the following:
In the clubhouse:
a.Turn off the lights
b.Leave the heating thermostat on 57 degrees.
c.Turn off the circuit breaker for the hot water tank (breaker panel located in the
d.Turn off the dock water in the basement. Drain the line in the winter.
On the dock:
a.Turn off all shore power breakers.
b Please pay the $5.00 per boat per night user fee. (This applies to all boats rafted or not
and whether you use shore power or not.
c.Lock the door.
1. Tyee burgees must be flown at all times on all member boats located at Port Hadlock Marina. Tyee has side-tie slips on the end of B dock.
2. Amenities include WiFi, coin-op laundry, showers and portable pump out service. There is no charge for power.
3. Call 360-385-6368 for reservations.